Your mouth is one of the first things that people notice about you. When you greet someone, they automatically look at you to see if you are smiling and truly pleased to see them. Of course the appearance and health of your teeth is a very important part of your smile, however, your lips are equally important. If your teeth are bright white and perfectly aligned but your lips are thin, dry, and unattractive, it’s like framing a Renoir in an old plywood frame.
If you feel that your lips do not help you to “put your best face forward,” there is a solution. At Chicagoland Aesthetics, we offer augmentation procedures to help you enhance your own natural beauty with fuller, more youthful lips. As with any cosmetic treatment, there are certain limitations. Furthermore, you must be ready to take responsibility for following the doctor’s instructions carefully to achieve the desired results and avoid complications.
A good candidate for this procedure is in good overall health, does not currently have any cold sore or scarring on their lips, is not diabetic, and does not have blood clotting problems.
There are two basic options for lip augmentation—implants and injections. Implant surgery usually requires local anesthesia, takes about two hours to complete, and recovery can take up to two weeks. Injectables are less invasive than surgery and offer a variety of options. Both methods have their pros and cons. It is best to consult with a professional at Chicagoland Aesthetics before committing to any particular procedure.
- Alloderm is collagen in sheet form created from deceased humans. The surgeon inserts them through very small incisions made on the inside of the lip. This material lasts up to twelve months and is a temporary solution.
- Fat grafting is a surgical method of adding your own fat into your lips to achieve the desired fullness. The procedure may provide permanent results, but this method varies from person to person. Because it’s your own fat, there is the potential for your body to reabsorb it.
- SoftForm, Goretex, and soft ePTFE are all synthetic materials used to achieve permanent results. Your body will not absorb these, but because they are synthetic, there is a risk of an allergic reaction.
- Local flap grafts transplant tissue and skin from the inside flap of your mouth. It is a far more invasive surgery than the other techniques and is often the last resort among cosmetic surgeons.
In addition to the use of dermal fillers (the same type used to reduce and eliminate fine lines and wrinkles), these are the most commonly utilized injections.
- Artecoll is a synthetic material used to plump up the lips. As with all synthetics, there is a higher risk of allergic reaction, but it lasts longer than fat and collagen injections.
- Autologen is when your surgeon injects your own collagen, extracted from another place on your body, into your lips. The results are temporary, but there is no risk of allergic reaction.
- Collagen can be extracted from cows can be injected into the lips. Because of the risk of an allergic reaction, it is best to allow your surgeon to give you a test dose prior to the injection. This yields temporary results, lasting anywhere from four weeks to three months.
- Dermalogen is collagen extracted from deceased humans. There are usually no problems with rejection, but this is also a temporary fix.
- Fascia injections use specialized connective tissue harvested from your own body or the body of a deceased human donor. It can be implanted surgically or injected. Within a year your body will, however, reabsorb the tissue, making this a temporary solution.
- Fat be used from your own abdomen or thighs and can be injected into your lips. There is no risk of allergic reaction and the results may be permanent. This can also be achieved through surgical implantation. If you gain weight, however, your lips may swell since the fat cells will enlarge.
Cosmetic procedures are not just about looking younger and more attractive; they are about inner confidence and helping you to achieve your goals. If you feel that lip augmentation is for you, there are many different options available. The best way to figure out which one is the best fit for your needs is to book a consultation with our team of experts at Chicagoland Aesthetics. With three convenient locations, there is sure to be one near you.